Funded by the Global Centre on Adaptation (GCA) and implemented by University of Nairobi – C4DLab, the Climate Resilience and Adaptation Accelerator Program will support 3 teams from across the country with solutions that address physical climate risks or build the resilience of communities. The selected start-ups will receive tailored business coaching, professional guidance on finance, support defining the climate impact potential of their solution, and preparation for future investment opportunities.
We are seeking applications from solutions that are addressing the impacts of climate change and building the resilience of communities. Start-ups may be providing solutions against climate risks such as: extreme temperatures (heatwaves), extreme precipitation, drought, unpredictable rains, tropical cyclones, or storms, floods, and sea level rise, among others. Start-ups that are not focusing on these specific areas will not be accepted.
C4DLab invites applications from early to mid-stage startups with solutions that address physical climate risks or build the resilience of communities that leverage digital technology, particularly mobile, to deliver climate resilience and adaptation solutions to and with low-income and vulnerable populations.
Deadline: February 28, 2023
To help you start on the right foot, you can expect:
- Access to finance- The start-ups will receive a results-based grant of €42,000 to support streamlining operations, increasing efficiencies and creating businesses with a positive climate impact.
- Mentorship support- The start-ups will receive one-to-one support to refine their business strategy, solve challenges and identify opportunities for sustainable growth.
- Masterclasses – Expert-led sessions covering all scaling fundamentals – from business model canvas, lean methodology to fundraising
- Tools and resources to help you advance at each stage of your growth.
- Business development services – Tackling all aspects of the business from incorporation, management structure, governance structures, staffing, operations, business plan development and implementation, market plan development and implementation, financial management and accountability.
- Strategic Support – Startups will receive support in technology, marketing, and design, as well as entrepreneurship, enabling them to overcome the greatest challenges they face. Our marketers, developers, UI, and UX designers assist in perfecting not only the product but also the branding.
- Access to networks – We have created a strong network of value chain partners willing to adopt and integrate products offered by accelerated startups. Offering this access as non-monetary investment is a key component of our program.
- Industry events – Exclusive opportunities to take part in leading conferences and events
- A space to work from. Use it full time or pop in every now and then.
- Climate change mainstreaming – Coaching and training on climate risk assessment and opportunity identification. Additionally, the start-ups will be supported in mainstreaming sustainability (environmental and social), as well as climate change adaptation and mitigation approaches into their operations.
- Demo day – A day to celebrate your achievements during the program with government, development partners, investors, corporates, mentors and press attendees
All applicants will have to meet the following application criteria to be eligible to participate in the program:
- Registered Startup operating for 2 years
- Team of at least 2 members
- Sustainably driven & innovative business supported by an emerging technology
- Not a spin-off or subsidiary of an existing company
- Has a functional prototype or minimum viable product (added advantage)
- Business must be incorporated in Kenya.
- Adaptation and resilience solution.